Tuesday, September 14, 2010

FHE - Modesty...

For FHE, and to help kick off our 7 Day Modesty Challenge, I thought it would be appropriate to teach the girls (yeah, I know, Maggie wasn't really listening) about modesty. We used the article "Modest at Any Age" from the May 2010 issue of The Friend. We talked about what it meant to be modest and what the standards of modesty and grooming are according to our church's (and the Lords) standards and expectations.

We used the Modesty Checklist
(also found in the May 2010 issue of the Friend)
to evalute several pictures of 'tweens
(who, by the way, do not typically dress
modestly in fashion catalogs! Holy moley!)


It reads:
Shoulders covered?
Shirt covers tummy?
Shorts or Skirts go to the Knee?
Shirt not low cut?
Clothing not tight?
Sloppiness?
Combed hair?
Clothes not torn, saggy or holey to fit in with a style?
Labels on clothing not rude or offensive?

Then we read from 1 Timothy 2:9
Women adorn themselves in modest apparel...

To test our knowledge of modesty,
for our activity we made a life-size Kayley paper doll,
and dressed her in modest clothing!

Tracing Kayley...

Getting Miss Paperdoll stuck to the wall...
Drawing panties (can't have her naked under her skirt!)
Curly hair...
Hairbows are a necessity.
Fully dressed Miss Paperdoll.

2 comments:

Savannah said...

What a cute idea for FHE! I love the paper doll, especially the curly hair. :) I can't wait to hear how you like the modesty dress challenge. I don't know if I could do every day in a dress. Well, maybe I could if I could wear the fuzzy socks to work with my dress. Dress shoes and one of the things I hate most about dressing up. I don't even bother with nylons. :p

Julianne said...

I love it!!! I'm definitely going to have to steal this idea for my boys. Hope you're having fun with your Mom!